First Trimester Survival Kit

Tuesday, November 27, 2018



When it comes to the first trimester of pregnancy, it is full of so many unknowns. Is what I’m feeling normal? Am I resting enough? Does everyone feel this awful/good? How much weight should I be gaining? Why am I so exhausted? Etc, etc. While everyone has a different experience, there are a few essentials that many women really depend on at the beginning that I think are relevant to any pregnancy. Here are my first trimester must-haves that got me through those many pregnancy unknowns!


1) Simply Peppermint Gum - Gum (mint or peppermint flavor only!) was so essential all throughout the day! Many nights I'd even fall asleep chewing gum, and thankfully woke up with it still inside my mouth lol. It really helped settling my stomach while also helping keep my mouth clean :-)

2) Ginger Ale - This one is a no brainer ;). With all of the nausea, ginger ale was definitely my drink of choice most days. Really, ginger anything helps! Ginger chews, ginger cookies, etc. Total life saver!

3) Rainbow Light Trimester 1 Prenatal Vitamins - I LOVE these vitamins for a few reasons- but mainly because they didn't upset my stomach at all. I've taken them all times of the day, stomach full of food or not, and they've never made me feel ill. They're also a food-based multi-vitamin which is awesome, and you only have to take one a day.

4) Avocado Toast - There are no words to describe how yummy and healthy this combo is, and if you're not a fan, we cannot be friends lol. Just sayin'....easy to stomach and easy on the stomach, all it entails is an avocado, whole grain bread, olive oil mayo, salt and pepper, and if you're really feeling extra, fresh squeezed lime juice and red chilli pepper flakes!

5) Greek Whole Milk Yogurt - I'm not always the biggest dairy person, but I know that it is essential during pregnancy, so lately I've been into Greek yogurt, especially Chobani's Whole Milk & Greek Gods Honey yogurt. I add in all sort of different things to mix it up (granola, frozen fruit, etc.), and I love that it's a healthier choice for a sweet treat for the end of the night, chock full of calcium and protein for babyboo.

6) Healthy Snacks - ApplesApplesauce, Almonds, Cheese Squares, Peanut ButterKind Bars, & Goodness Knows bars were my favorites. As long as there wasn't an intense smell associated with my snacks, it was good with me and my tummy.

7) Stacy's Pita Chips - This one is debatable. Some women love saltine crackers, others plain Cheerios, it's totally your perogative. For me however, I loved salted pita chips. I always made sure I had a bag next to my bed when I'd wake up hungry in the middle of the night. My husband still laughs at the thought of me loudly chewing my crackers discreetly in the dark during those 3 months lol.

8) Peppermint Tea - To help soothe your stomach, I recommend drinking peppermint tea (caffeine free). If you are experiencing nausea, anything peppermint helps. Even carrying peppermint candy in your purse, or the essential oil can be a total relief.

9) KOR One BPA Free Water-bottle - We are told by our Dr that a pregnant woman's water intake  needs to be on average, approximately 10 cups (2.3 liters) of fluid per day. I aim to drink at least 4 of these of a day, and being able to refill my bottle keeps me on track with my water intake.

10) Belly Oil - When your tummy stars getting bigger belly oil is LIFE! There are so many great options depending on what you're willing to splurge or steal on. Hatch has a great mama oil that's a lil more pricey, but there are definitely other amazing affordable options including body butter's such as Burt's Bee's Mama Butter, Trader Joe's Coconut Oil, and even Aquaphor (yes, Aquaphor, I'm telling ya, it works wonders).

11) Music & 'The Bump' Pregnancy App - With all the tossing and turning during bedtime, I like to listen to help put me to sleep. I'm an R&B chick, so H.E.R's album was my go-to. The "Lullaby by Michael Silverman" station on Spotify has also been another fav that mixes soothing lullaby and classical tunes. Another option is Hypnobirthing, which is quite popular among modern mama's these days. I tried to get into, but it just wasn't for me, so I just stick to music instead. There are those nights however, when pregnancy insomnia kicks in and music still won't help, so the Bump app is a great tool to read about what's going on with your new body if you're gonna be up anyway.

12) Nurture: A Modern Guide to Pregnancy, Birth, Early Motherhood - and Trusting Yourself and Your Body - A good friend of mine gifted me this book, and I have not put it down. I felt this one is a great alternative to "What To Expect When You're Expecting" and "The Sh!t No One Tells You About Pregnancy". It's a one stop shop for all the answers to a first time mama's questions, and includes informative body and self-care exercises, healthy recipes, and even covers topics after the first weeks your baby is born.

13) Crane 'Air Droplet' Humidifier - This came in so handy when I was painfully sick. I couldn't breathe and needed something to help me cough up a lung and a half to get all the mucus out of my chest, and thankfully this humidifier was the answer. A great perk is that it has various output controls, and didn't interfere with my already awful sleep habits as it is whisper-quiet.

14) Lavender Scented Candle - Although the use of essential oils during pregnancy is controversial, since experts don’t have clear data on the safety, for me the scent of lavender is calming and the candle really helped ease a lot of my nausea. Everything in moderation right? I avoid lighting my candles for a long period of time due to the wick emission (something to be careful of pregnant or not), but this candle really just did it for me.

15) Eberjay Gisele Comfy Pajamas Set - I literally lived in my pj's and Ugg slippers my entire first trimester. I had no energy to do all the simple things that I used to, such as running errands or even just hanging out with friends outside my home. I just wanted to curl up in a ball and be comfy on my couch. I love this pj set, as you still look put together while lounging comfortably.

16) Seamless Bralette - Normally I free the nipple while I sleep, but as my chest was getting bigger and in more pain, I found that a seamless bralette kept the ladies in place more comfortably with than without. Totally your preference! Nordstrom, Macy's, H&M, Gap, & Target sell many great versions of the bralette, but the photo above is the exact one I love the most (plus it also doubles as super stylish lol)!

17) Maternity Leggings - I've tried a ton of different types, and these are hands down the best! Ingrid and Isabel normally retail at a higher price-point at Nordstrom, but they now have a maternity line at Target, and honestly the only difference I could feel was within my wallet lol. They're incredibly comfortable that makes lounging and running errands that much better. Throw on a cute tunic and flats and you're good to go!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

© Mona Kiani and The Urban Monarch, 2023. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Mona Kiani and The Urban Monarch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.