Persian New Year 2020 | Norooz 1399

Wednesday, March 18, 2020


This is my first Nowrooz (Persian New Year) since giving birth to Mahara, and I am so excited to share with her our Persian roots/traditions. Some of my favorite memories growing up are Norooz traditions with my family. Many events commemorating Noruz have been cancelled or postponed this year due to shelter in place from the Corona Virus, but not in our home! Although we are on lockdown during this breakout, it is important for me to celebrate and instill my culture's New Year traditions/symbols in my daughter. This quarantine, on a positive note, has challenged me to get my creative juices flowing; utilizing items found mostly in my home already: cups, plates, placemats, candle holders, vases, and ribbons I cut and added to the vases). I even got artsy fartsy with my florals (I literally snipped off the ends of the roses and created "art" lol). Proud of myself for working with (and prettifying) what we've got during these hard times. I am beyond grateful for all the little blessings we often take for granted: family and friends, good health, warm shelter, and water/food in the fridge. It's truly a very uncertain and horrifying time that I am sure we will be reading about in future history books. Hoping this Persian New Year brings an abundance of health and happiness to everyone during this unprecedented global pandemic.

Below is a breakdown of items placed on a Haftseen (Haft = 7 and seen - S's - Persian New Year spread w/ 7 symbolic items that start with an S) and their symbolism: 

HAFTSIN o(r HAFTSEEN) SPREAD: MAIN ITEMS 
Sabzeh - Wheat or lentil sprouts growing in a dish - symbolizing rebirth 
Samanoo - A sweet pudding made from wheat germ - symbolizing the sweetness of life
Senjed - The dried fruit of the oleaster tree - symbolizing love 
Seer - Garlic - symbolizing medicine & to ward off bad omens
Seeb - Apple - symbolizing beauty and health 
Serkeh - Vinegar - symbolizing age and patience 
Sekkeh - Coins - prosperity and wealth 
Sonbol - Hyacinth flower - symbolizing the start of spring 
Somagh (sumac) - symbolizing the spice of life

ADDITIONAL ITEMS ALSO USED ON THE SPREAD 
Eyeneh vah Shamdon (Mirror and Candles) – symbolizing enlightenment and happiness 
Tokhm-e Morgh (decorated eggs) – symbolizing fertility 
Mahi (Fish) – symbolizing life 
Holy book or Hafez Book of Poems (depending on faith) – symbolizing God's blessing 

Saleh Nohw Mobarak! 
Translation: Happy New Year! 

May this New Year bring you peace, tranquility, health, safety, wealth and happiness!








You Might Also Like

0 comments

© Mona Kiani and The Urban Monarch, 2023. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Mona Kiani and The Urban Monarch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.